The other topic of conversation is to discuss the healing time and issues required from my last procedure at the end of July. I have been wondering about this. I realize I have been a little lax about making sure I understand what a procedure was supposed to do and what the healing period would be from it. You would think I would have learned by now that I need to make sure I understand these things.
Here's the process, the doctor tells you s/he recommends this next procedure ('fun' medical adventure with needles that might leave scarring). You listen for a minute or two and agree. They get the scheduler in to pick a date, you sign a release and wait for your day. But wait, why are you doing this? What is this going to cure/resolve/prove? What are the risks? What are the benefits? What is healing time if any? DID I ASK? No.
Now there is a study out (I swear there is a new medical study going on all the time - your tax dollars and medical dollars at work) that says there is a disconnect in doctor-patient communication. I think I agree. The article is blaming the doctors for this but I am not sure its actually all their fault. It takes two to tango as they say and I think the patient has equal responsibility to learn about their next medical adventure before it happens (unless it is done on an emergency basis and is being rushed).
I think I need to make a little list of questions to be asked before the next procedure, whenever that may be (but could be scheduled as early as this afternoon when I see the doctor):
1. What is this going to do? What is the goal of this?
2. Why is it right for me?
3. What can I expect after this? Is there a healing/recovery time period?
4. How long until I feel the benefits of this?
5. What are the risks of the procedure?
6. What else do I need to know before this procedure?
Now I am sure this is just a rough start but I should come up with a list of questions that I want answered before the procedure takes place. Its my body and I should make sure I understand.
You have read this article doctor questions /
procedures
with the title What was this supposed to do?. You can bookmark this page URL https://ogbcommunity.blogspot.com/2010/09/what-was-this-supposed-to-do.html. Thanks!
No comment for "What was this supposed to do?"
Post a Comment