A cultural aside prompted by events in Egypt. When I first lived in Egypt back in the 1970s, in those remote eras before Husni Mubarak was even President yet, I eventually started to wonder why so many men in their 50s seemed to be named Saad, while relatively few of the males my age were. Eventually I asked a couple (a used bookseller and another acquaintance in that age group), and realized they were presumably all, as these two were, named after Saad Zaghloul Pasha. I also noted a lot of younger men and boys born in the 1950s and 1960s, named Gamal. Obviously after Nasser. I suspect this includes the late-40-something former banker who has apparently taken up residence in London this week and whose political prospects are now nil.A question for more recent Egypt hands: in the last 30 years, when my visits have usually been under a week and have not allowed thorough research on this abstruse onomastic issue, has there been a wave of Husnis born, or, as I suspect, not outside the ruling circles?
I also like an excuse to say "onomastic." Not a word I get to use every day: relating to the study of proper names, to save you the trouble of Googling.
Oh, and for now, I intend to fly the flag in the Egypt posts.
You have read this article Egypt /
Gamal Mubarak
with the title Egyptian Male Naming Patterns: A Cultural Note. You can bookmark this page URL https://ogbcommunity.blogspot.com/2011/02/egyptian-male-naming-patterns-cultural.html. Thanks!
No comment for "Egyptian Male Naming Patterns: A Cultural Note"
Post a Comment